Re: Can I stop xdm/wdm from always starting up?

Pedro Guerreiro <pguerreiro@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Let's me explain the problem: Somewhere along these last big changes
> in X, something was lost (I think). In the old days, there was an
> option in /etc/X11/config that gives you the chance to start (or
> not) xdm/wdm: If you has a line like 'start-xdm' on that file, the
> xdm was started every time you boot the machine, but if you changed
> that line to something like 'no-start-xdm', then xdm didn't start,
> and you end up with the console login.  As my linux box is mine, all
> mine and nothing but mine :-)), sometimes (especially when trying
> something more dangerous in X) I wanted to start the plain console,
> and then try X using startx.

I fixed this by using updaterc.d so that xdm doesn't run in the normal
runlevel.  xdm starts up at runlevel 3, so I boot, I can see all the
messages and I don't get caught by the "infinite xdm loop" bug (does
that still exist?), and when I want to start up xdm I just say

  sudo telinit 3 && exit