Re: EGCS Re: glibc 2.1 notes

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 00:10:02 +0900, Ionutz Borcoman wrote:
> "J.H.M. Dassen" wrote:
[EGCS as default compiler for potato]

> I have here some files which have been compiled successfully with gcc2.8
> on a Slackware box, but make my egcs abort.

Please produce a minimal example that triggers the bug(s) from them, and
submit bug reports.

> From what I have understood, Slackware team doesn't consider egcs 1.1.x
> stable enough.

I have not used Slackware in a long time, but from what I know it is still
not a highlight of technical excellence.

The majority of C++ bug reports I look into on gnu.g++.bugs are not
reproducable with EGCS. More than half of the C++ bug reports reported
through the BTS for EGCS 1.0.3 were fixed in EGCS 1.1 .

EGCS is under active development, FSF gcc development appears to be dead.
Using EGCS as the default C++, Fortran and Pascal compiler was the right
thing to do. With glibc2.1 requiring EGCS, FSF gcc development dead, and
EGCS developers actively responding to bug reports, and doing extensive
quality assurance for releases, moving to EGCS as the default C compiler is
the right thing to do.

Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking