Re: How does anyone keep up with this list?

I keep up with different mailing lists in different ways.  On
debian-devel I tend to concentrate on certain threads that interest
me.  Although I do that on other mailing lists too, on some I
concentrate on *people* rather than *threads*.  For instance, on the
linux-kernel list I read every post by Linus and Alan Cox, which tends
to give a good overview of what's going on.  Maybe you should try to
find someone who tends to read and respond to the same articles that
you're interested in, and read all his posts.