Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before releasing Slink

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 09:41:16AM +0100, Richard Braakman wrote:
> Joseph Carter wrote:
> > I would expect it to fit on a zip disk easily, but even that's too big.
> > Though as I said I want a copy of this available from single-user mode
> > really.
>
> Rather than making -static version of individual packages, how about
> making a "rescue-system" package, that installs in such a way that
> it can be activated from single-user mode?  Maybe it could live
> in a subdirectory of /sbin.  On installation it would offer to
> install itself in /etc/inittab.  It would also have a shell that
> can be used as an argument to init= at the boot prompt.
>
> By making it a single package, the package maintainer can ensure that
> all parts of that system work together.  This way, it might even be
> linked dynamically, if it comes with its own dynamic linker.
>
> Does anyone feel up to this? :-)

Only one problem here - it's going to be composed of the source
packages from a dozen different packages.  That's going to be evil to
maintain.

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |