Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before releasing Slink

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 12:55:06AM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> JC> This stuff may be arranged in such a manner so it exists if needed
> JC> but is not used under normal operation..  ie, different paths are
> JC> used for maintaining the system than running it.  I certainly
> JC> would not want /bin/sh to be a static linked bash, but I would
> JC> want init to be static and I would want single user mode to give
> JC> me a static shell, etc.
>
> This should be seperated from the rest of the system. Like a rescue
> disk on steroids. It could be put on a seperate partition, a CD or
> even on a fat partition or such.
>
> We even don't need static versions then.

I think it should be available in single-user mode to be honest.  This
ain't windoze, we don't reboot at the first sign of trouble.  If we
really screw something we might need to telinit 1, but still.  =>

> This has been shortly discussed on debian-user-de. One of the people
> responsible for the world record debian-cluster wanted to check how
> far the mini-debian they used could be extended for the task.
>
> This rescue system should have the necessary tools to get you out of
> the mess, but still remain small.

I would expect it to fit on a zip disk easily, but even that's too big.
Though as I said I want a copy of this available from single-user mode
really.

--
Anticipation is the sweetest form of torture...