Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before releasing Slink

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 09:41:16AM +0100, Richard Braakman wrote:
> Rather than making -static version of individual packages, how about
> making a "rescue-system" package, that installs in such a way that
> it can be activated from single-user mode?  Maybe it could live
> in a subdirectory of /sbin.  On installation it would offer to
> install itself in /etc/inittab.  It would also have a shell that
> can be used as an argument to init= at the boot prompt.
>
> By making it a single package, the package maintainer can ensure that
> all parts of that system work together.  This way, it might even be
> linked dynamically, if it comes with its own dynamic linker.

Not a bad idea, not bad at all.  I would say it has some issues you have
left unresolved (like sysvinit) but I bet I think there are probably ways
around that too.

Seems to me we already have a method for building a similar purpose
system already, the base*.tgz is pretty much what you're suggesting.  I
suppose if done right it could serve as a source for bins/libs that work
together should things go wrong and you need to get into single user
mode, probably as a chroot environment known stable for testing things,
probably also as a spare rescue partition (since it would work for
chroot) or zip disk for example, or even just a rescue fileset on your /
partition with the right parameters to lilo...

Interesting prospects, to say the least.

> Does anyone feel up to this? :-)

I will admit right now that I do not at this time know enough to pull
this off.  It sounds like it would require a bit of planning to do it
this way and it would be IMO a helluva lot of fun(FSVO)...  I'd sure as
hell like to learn!  =>  I think I could do it with time, effort,
patience, and someone to consult as I work on the project to check my
work and let me know when I'm doing something bordering on colossally
stupid and how to do it The Right Way...

Definately interesting prospects.

--
Anticipation is the sweetest form of torture...