Re: Neat gtk/gdk-imlib pain

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 13:51 -0800, Jim Pick wrote:

> Dave Swegen <dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> writes:
>
> > To try and keep debian up with the rapid development of gnome and other
> > such fast-evolving projects is asking for trouble. IMHO it is better to
> > skip a few versions and maintain (reasonable) stability and comaptability.
>
> Which basically implies that we shouldn't even touch it until 1.0 is
> released.  Until then, the upstream maintainers are making no promises
> with regards to stability and compatibility/upgradeability.
>
> However, I don't think that dropping Gnome would be too popular -
> people want to play with it even though it is unstable.

Not quite what I meant - I just meant that it would be a good idea to try
and sync everything, which would mean that in the case of some packages
there would be a gap of a few versions while the other dependant packages
catch up. Basically make sure everything links reasonably nicely to the
base gnome packages, then put that batch into unstable, repeat until 1.0.

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.1.125
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request