Re: Neat gtk/gdk-imlib pain

On 3 Feb 1999, Jim Pick wrote:

> Part of the reason we call the devel branch of Debian 'unstable' is
> because we do things like upload libraries that may break other
> things.  It would be nicer if we didn't have to -- but that's life.
> There is a limit to the amount of 'pain' the developers are willing to
> endure, of course.

I've been thinking about this problem a bit.

I haven't come up with a brilliant answer yet, but one helpful start would
be if dinstall could put on hold packages which depend on packages not yet
in the archive, and then install them all at once.

For example, last I updated (yesterday) exim still depended on libpcre2,
which was not available.

These situations are not uncommon, nor are they disastrous.  However, it
would be neater if they didn't arise at all..

Jules