Re: Neat gtk/gdk-imlib pain

> > There is apparantly an EGCS patch called libapi, available in the
> > Debian egcs package, which is supposed to implement the above.
> > Adopting and improving this patch would definitely solve your GNOME
> > problems, Jim.
>
> Can you give us some pointers? This sounds like a good thing for the gnome
> people to adopt upstream as well..

It's in the egcs package.

# DP: Patch to include the c++ compiler interface, the libstdc++ version
# DP: and the libc version in the libstdc++ soname. (From H.J. Lu)

It's why the libstdc++ libs look like:

  libstdc++-2-libc6.0-1-2.9.0.so

  SONAME      libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

The only problem is, for libgnome, the library might end up looking
like:

  libgnomeui-31-esd0-glib1.1.3-gtk1.1.3-imlib1.so

Gawd knows what I'd name the package as.

It's just a variation on the bumping the soname idea.

We'd still have the problem where we'd get a huge explosion in the
number of libraries hanging around.

Cheers,

 - Jim