Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

On Feb  3, 1999, Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>> Actually, I'm curious as to whether there really is another example of
>> an OS which changed shared libraries without changing the soname (as
>> Alexandre pointed out, that was really what caused the problem).  I
>> don't know of any example of that.

> And, as we've pointed out, changing the soname is not a practicable
> answer, until we have a cleverer automatic soname system.

libtool might be able to help here, by providing a flag to arrange
that each library is sonamed after its dependencies, or that an
arbitrary string is appended to the soname.  I'm not sure this can be
made portable, but then, libtool could reject or silently ignore such
flags if one tries to use them in a system that does not support
them.

> I really don't see why it's clever to hardcode paths...

I think the point is that they can't hurt (or couldn't, before the bad
transition from libc5 to glibc), and selectively dropping them
requires additional code, which nobody has ever implemented.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}