Re: concensus on removing TeX and Emacs from standard

On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 12:03:02AM -0800, Robert Woodcock wrote:

> Hello, I think TeX and Emacs should no longer be standard. The purpose of
> this message is to build a concensus for this so a bug can be filed against
> ftp.debian.org to have it done.
> Specifically, these packages should be made optional:
> tetex-lib, tetex-base, tetex-bin, emacs20, emacs20-el, emacsen-common
> My reasoning is a large number of Debian users have no use for these
> subsystems, therefore they should be add-ons instead of default
> infrastructure.

I agree.

My oppinion is based on experience with the Debian boxes that I
administer.  I have about a dozen boxes, some at work and two at
home.  Only one of them needs emacs installed, and only four need

Is it a reasonable expectation to find TeX installed on a
router?  What about emacs on the same routing machine (which
only has 140M of harddisk space?

Happy New Year!