Re: Making Debian packages cross-compiler ready!

On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 01:15:17AM +0100, Raphael Bossek wrote:
> i would like
> to have a cross-compiler support in the debian packages by default so
> i can specify extra gcc options or define the name of gcc or other
> binutils for instance like the linux kernel Makefile it does. are there
> any kind of idears how i this problem can be solved?

See dpkg-architecture(1), which I wrote, also see dpkg-cross.
However, every package needs to be treated individually, there is no
king road to cross compilation. See glibc for a package which does it well
(without dpkg-cross even).

Some bug reports I did file to get cross compilation working, but I stopped
persuing this for a while.

> i found that the glibc/libc6 package have allready first steps in this
> directions on the other hand the gcc package is not cross-compile ready :-(

Note that gcc is very special, as it wants to compile itself.

Marcus