Re: Restarting Daemons on package install/upgrade.

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 10:07:38AM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > Well this works for people that use the "old" init-style with links in
> > /etc/rc* and won't work for people like me that use file-rc. Please
> > provide first a solution for both cases. Then we can send out bugreports
> > and fix those packages.
>
> I sometimes wish we could settle on some of these key technologies,
> like the two rc schemes, and inetd versus xinetd. It would make a lot
> of things similar. Imagine if we had two menu systems. Similar confusion
> happens with the documentation systems.

I disagree, I think we should settle on an interface that allows multiple
implementations. Settling on the sysv init.d would be a tie us to something
many people despise with a passion. It would make it hard to ever switch to
anything more flexible.

--
greg