Re: ITP: Gnapster

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 eeyem@u.washington.edu wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 12:06:17PM -0500, Brian Almeida wrote:
> > > ~ $ apt-cache search napster
> > > gnap - Gnome client for Napster
> > > gnome-napster - Gnome client of the popular windows napster program
> > >
> > > Another?
> > Yep.
> >
> > gnap is dead. So that leaves only gnome-napster, really.
>
> First, I should mention that the reason there were three projects is
> that each developer wrote their respective client before there was any
> announcement of any other clients.
>
> I intend to update the gnome-napster website about this, but I should
> probably announce it, too:
> I have been employed, and I can't continue development on gnome-napster.  This
> means that 0.4.0 (currently in potato) is the final version that I am planning
> to release, unless there are some critical bugs.  I'm supposed to stop all
> development by the 25th of December.
>
> gnome-napster 0.4.0 is more complete than gnapster in many respects, but I
> expect gnapster will pass it by eventually.  Unless someone takes over
> development, gnome-napster should be also removed from the distribution in a
> few months.
>
> Some URLs, in case you're interested:
> gnap: http://gnap.sourceforge.net
> gnaspter: http://www.gotlinux.org/~jasta/gnapster.html
> gnome-napster: http://students.washington.edu/eeyem
>
> Thanks,
> Evan. (the gnome-napster author)

um, say what?  Is your employer forcing you to stop development?  Are you
working for them 24/7/52?

Also, as the maintainer of gnome-napster, why didn't you mail me about this?
I'm taken aback by this sudden announcement, and it would have only been
polite(yes, communicate once in awhile) for you to have told me.  You have my
email.

----BEGIN PGP INFO----
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org>        Finger Print | KeyID
67 01 42 93 CA 37 FB 1E    63 C9 80 1D 08 CF 84 0A | DE656B05 PGP
AD46 C888 F587 F8A3 A6DA  3261 8A2C 7DC2 8BD4 A489 | 8BD4A489 GPG
-----END PGP INFO-----