Re: Request for package: libgtkxmhtml-nognome

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shaleh@valinux.com> writes:
> further checking proves that the gtk-xmhtml lib in no way depends on
> GNOME.  It however is in their source for gnome-lib and controlled
> by their configure script.

I don't think this is an actual problem.

> The depends on this package are wrong, no GNOME is needed.  In the
> future if this could be in its own tar ball rather than shoe horned
> into gnome-lib, we can build this without GNOME depends.

All the deps on gnome are introduced by-hand in our control file---it
shouldn't be a problem to pare them back.  I probably will request
help in testing to make sure I don't inadvertently remove ones that
really _are_ necessary.

> Please ask the upstream to free gtkxmhtml of gnome-libs and place it
> in its own tarball.

I don't see this as being necessary---and I suspect it would just be
met with resistance.

Many gnome people have expressed bafflement that we don't have one
person just doing all the gnome packages as one big batch
compile---and, FWIW, in fact have stated what I understand to be an
intention to try and more further in that direction.

> The same can also likely be said about libart and a few other pieces
> of gnome-libs.

When I do my big bug-squash on gnome-libs at the end of this month,
I'll be looking at these dependencies in detail.

Mike.