pgcc?

Mario Lang writes:
 > Hi.
 >
 > Are their any plans to package pgcc as alternative to gcc for debian?
 > I think my machine could benefit quite much from recompiling emacs and festival
 > with pentium code.

No. Currently pgcc is "only" a few steps before gcc-2.96. You get many
optimisations by compiling with -mcpu=pentium -march=pentium. With
the appearance of the k7, I think it's not worth to add just another
compiler for a specific vendor. Perhaps that's appropriate for
distributions backed by specific cpu vendors ...