Re: Confusion about package naming -- please help!

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 03:23:28AM +0000, Chris Rutter wrote:
> I'm slightly mystified, in my newsbieship, as to what this means.
>
> The source archive is `mLib-1.6.1.tar.gz', and it unpacks into a directory
> called `mLib-1.6.1'.  I suppose `dpkg-source' is supposed to rename that
> to `mlib-1.6.1' or something when the source archive is extracted.
>
> So -- what should my source directory be called?  What should my packages
> be called?  What should the `Package:' field contain?

As Antti-Juhani says, use lowercase. It doesn't matter what directory
the .orig.tar.gz unpacks to; dpkg-source will cope. Don't extract it,
rename it, and recreate the .orig.tar.gz just to fix the directory name;
it's better to use "pristine source" -- meaning the exact .tar.gz
provided by the upstream author (renamed of course to .orig.tar.gz).

Hamish