Re: Why does potato compiling suck?

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:

> >> KDE 2 snapshots arn't known to be incredibly buildable ... kde 2 itself is
> >> incredibly unbuildable, no matter what your compiling for.  Thats whhy its
> >> development:)
> >
> >Other people say that certain versions of KDE compile fine, but I can't
> >seem to get them to (kdelibs).  I asked them first.
>
> Much of the KDE stuff looks in certain locations for certain include files
> and libraries.  Debian has things differently to what they expect.  Usually
> it just means that when you run ./configure you have to specify parameters to
> tell it where to find things.

Actually the debian scripts tell the configure where to look and you
have to take that out to get it to work quite frequently.
configure is smart enough and the debian scripts (provided by kde) are
broken or have been last time I tried.

I also noticed that on alpha and m68k I was able to build kde with
less problems than on i386. Strange thing. :)

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin