Re: freedomization task list [was: Re: Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL]

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Josh Wilmes wrote:

> I don't think the goal should be to perfectly clone pine-  we should provide a
> reasonable alternative for people who are accustomed to it to migrate to
> something which is not non-free, and continue to try to get pine opened up.
> (IIRC, its license isn't very far away from being 'free', so there may be
> hope- i'm not all that familiar with the issues)

The issue is basically that you are not allowed to distribute altered
binaries. Since most/all packages in Debian are altered in at least some
way, it made distributing a PINE/pico binary package with Debian difficult
or impossible. That is why instead, PINE is distributed as a source
package and a diff, and users must compile it themselves.