Re: Package Pool Proposal

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 10:47:53PM +0000, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:

> On the contrary. I have a network here with five machines all
> running current potato. If I didn't have a local mirror, all five
> machines would have to download upgrades from ftp[.uk].debian.org,
> taking more bandwidth than a partial mirror of potato.

   You can save even more bandwidth though using a web proxy.  The first
machine pulls the .debs it needs (rather than the whole archive) through the
squid and the rest get everything out of the cache.  Just set
[ht|f]tp_proxy="http://mycachemachine:3128/"; and apt-get will use your
webcache.  Bump up the cache size in /etc/squid.conf and allow miss accesses
from your local net.  You can also request via your ISP's web cache if that
saves you money.

/etc/squid.conf
cache_peer wwwcache.anu.edu.au   parent  80      3130 # an upstream cache
cache_dir /var/spool/squid 1000 16 256  # store 1000 MB of downloads
# a list of my local machines
acl MyNet src 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
# allow cached and miss accesses from MyNet
http_access allow MyNet
miss_access allow MyNet