Re: The end of GIF format [was : Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL ]

On Fri, 03 Dec 1999, Ben Armstrong wrote:
>> By the time woody is released, it's likely the gif patent will have
>> expired.
>
>I have a hard time with it too.  I tried viewing .png's created by Gimp
>yesterday via Communicator 4.7 and it claimed that it didn't know what
>to do with them.  What's the story here?  I thought Communicator supported
>them.  Is something wrong with my setup?

Probably.  Communicator 4.7 displays the PNG picture on this page:
http://www.coker.com.au/zcav/

So the PNG support in Communicator and the ability of "xv" to create PNG's is
good enough for me.

>Anyway, as long as my web browser won't read .png's, I'm reluctant to nuke
>my remaining .gif's.

Try loading them into "xv" and saving them again.  If that works then maybe a
bug should be filed against the Gimp.

--
Electronic information tampers with your soul.