Re: Package Pool Proposal

Sorry I'm coming late to this, I've not had much time for reading mail.

Just a minor refinement idea:

  Put all the files generated from a source package in the same place

For example, openssh would end up in a directory called something like:

  .../pool/o/openssh/

which would contain:

  openssh_1.2pre10-1.diff.gz
  openssh_1.2pre10-1.dsc
  openssh_1.2pre10.orig.tar.gz
  openssh_1.2pre13-1.diff.gz
  openssh_1.2pre13-1.dsc
  openssh_1.2pre13.orig.tar.gz
  ssh-askpass-gnome_1.2pre10-1_alpha.deb
  ssh-askpass-gnome_1.2pre10-1_i386.deb
  ssh-askpass-gnome_1.2pre13-1_i386.deb
  ssh-askpass-ptk_1.2pre10-1_all.deb
  ssh-askpass-ptk_1.2pre13-1_all.deb
  ssh_1.2pre10-1_alpha.deb
  ssh_1.2pre13-1_i386.deb

So that's all versions (still in use) of all the binary packages for
all architectures produced by the source package, and all versions of
the source package needed to produce them.

This would cut down on the number of subdirectories we need to hash,
and should make finding files by hand easier.

Oh, and another idea --- should we try to make this so that the pool
contains all of Debian (including non-US) where it can, and then come
up with a way of doing partial mirrors for those places that have
annoying laws ?

Cheers, Phil.