Re: Package Pool Proposal

Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@msu.edu> writes:

> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Raul Miller wrote:
> > > How about first three characters of package name?
> >
> > Well, let's see what distribution this gives us:
>
> How about the first few characters of the md5sum of the package
> name?  Should be well-distributed (although rather unpredictable
> :-)

1 character: 16 directories with between 250 to 300 packages each
2 characters: 256 directories with app. 30 packages in.

Seems good to me but we'll need a good index somewhere ;)
OTOH, this will make two versions of the same packages in different
directories... not really good ;)
OTOOH, having an index with md5sums is a Good Thing, IMHO.

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70