Re: Release-critical Bugreport for November 26, 1999

On 99-11-28 Rob Browning wrote:
> Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org> writes:

> > > Package: emacs20 (main)
> > > Maintainer: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
> > >   33237  /etc/alternatives/emacs not managed properly - /usr/bin/emacs doesn't run emacs20
> > > [STRATEGY] Maintainer promised to fix this.
> >
> > When will this one become fixed?

> As soon as I either figure out what's wrong, or someone else more
> familiar with the alternatives mechanism does.  Not knowing a way to
> reliably reproduce the problem makes it hard.

> There were a few recent mails that I've glanced over after my last
> call for help, but I don't think anyone was certain that the suggested
> fix(es) would work.

Well, they could someone from Debian-QA, who is familar with
update-alternatives, help with figuring out a good solution? This one
just needs some discussion before creating a fix.

> > >   43249  Y2K problem in timezone.el
> >
> > Seems to get fixed in the new version.

> Yes, but...  It's only fixed in the upcoming 20.5 which doesn't help
> us if we're going to freeze before that's released.  I asked the
> upstream maintainers if it would be likely to be easy to just
> backpatch that file in 20.4, but their initial response indicated that
> that wouldn't be sufficient since there were quite a few other Y2K
> issues in other files too.  Given that, I'm hoping that 20.5 makes it
> before we freeze.

Did the upstream maintainers estimate when they will release 20.5 or
not? I think, that I would be nice to include 20.5 in potato and not
only 20.4.

> > >   48997  emacs20_20.4-1(unstable): hardcoded i386 in debian/rules
> >
> > Should be easy to fix. When will a fixed version be uploaded?

> I thought I uploaded a fix for this, but then I had to run off for a
> few days.  I'll look in to it again in the next couple of days.

Alright, this definitely enough.

> > > Package: rscheme (main)
> > > Maintainer: Rob Browning <osiris@cs.utexas.edu>
> > > [REMOVE] This package can be removed if it is not fixed.
> > >   47774  rscheme_0.7.2-2(unstable): Syntax error in m68k specific code
> >
> > Very easy to fix. Rob, when can we have a fixed version or would you
> > allow to NMU it?

> I should be able to fix this in a couple of days.  This bug got lost
> in a recent mail snafu I had, but I'm on it now.

Great, this is good news. Th@nks for you work on the emacs package,
which isn't that easy to maintain.

Ciao
     Christian
* Christian Kurz                          Debian Developer/QA-Team *
*               Use Debian - a free Operating System               *