Re: Release-critical Bugreport for November 26, 1999

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 01:45:24AM +0100, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org> writes:
>
> > > Package: lynx (main)
> > > Maintainer: Christian Hudon <chrish@debian.org>
> > >   46021  lynx on alpha exits immediately with interrupt 15, is useless
> >
> > Can someone from the Alpha-Porters please look at this issue?
>
> I can't reproduce it, seems to be a problem with the submitter's IP
> resolving, as the maintainer already said. We should probably have an
> [UNREPRODUCABLE] flag.

That would be [HELP] if reproducing it is important.  If it's likely
that the bug is a non-bug, then someone should downgrade the bug or
close it -- preferably someone who has investigated the matter.

> > > Package: mc (main)
> > > Maintainer: Michael Bramer & Martin Bialasinski <mc-debian@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de>
> > >   50891  destruction of file system integrity
> >
> > I would say, that this bug is not trivial to fix and should be forwarded
> > to the upstream.
>
> I would say this should be either closed or reassigned to the kernel.
> If a program without root manages to destroy a file system, it is the
> kernel's fault. But I would guess that the problem isn't really caused
> by mc but probably by faulty hardware or whatever. Unfortunately, we
> have no way to reproduce it.

Indeed, the report sounds unlikely to me, and in any case can't be mc's
fault.

> > > Package: screen (main)
> > > Maintainer: Juan Cespedes <cespedes@debian.org>
> > >   50394  screen: It exits upon invocation with [screen is terminating] message.
> > >   51058  screen: Immediately quits
> >
> > Can some confirm that there's still this bug?
>
> Seems to be caused by custom kernels with missing features. Should be
> downgraded.

I don't think so; the "missing features" are Unix98 ptys, which
require userland configuration as well as a new kernel.  I expect
that every system upgrading from slink will be affected by this.

Richard Braakman