Re: Debian FreeBSD

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 11:49:59PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> > I don't get it. Debian/BSD will still use glibc, bash, etc, will it not?
>
> Actually, it uses FreeBSD libc instead of glibc. bash should hold the same
> postion in Debian/BSD as in Debian/Linux.

That's horrible :) [no, I won't clearify what I mean, use your imagination]

Actually, a Debian GNU/BSD would be nice to see.
I hope this will lead to a greater portability of the Debianized free
software. My experiences with the Hurd port are that about every second
package is linux specific or at least unported to "my OS", either
upstream or in the Debian rules file.

Not using glibc, you might have a hard time. Make sure all changes
go towards POSIX compatibility instead away from it. Anyway, I think
you should definitely consider to port and use glibc. (Of course this is
were it gets polit^H^H^H^H^Ha license issue).

Funny enough, quite some Hurd specifics stem from BSD behaviour. So it might
be I already did some work for you :)

Thanks,
Marcus

--
"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>