Re: Whom the BIND newest vulnerability concerns?

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 at 19:55:12 +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> >I ended so far removing options  --pidfile /var/run/named.pid
> >from /etc/init.d/bind
> >which, I _think_, will be safier than giving write permission for group
> >"daemon" to /var/run
>
> What is the danger in giving group daemon write access to /var/run?

Probably I was too paranoid :-) .

> Programs running with group daemon used to run as root!  A program that many
> people trust enough to run as root is a program that I usually trust enough
> to give write access to /var/run.

You're right.

> Also with the sticky bit on /var/run they can't delete each other's pid files
> so if such a program is compromised it can't interfere with a running daemon.

Theoritically, there could be some DoS-type interference - when one
program would create a pid-file normally used by another program.
But - as you pointed out - they usually run as root so they could do
bigger damages if they were compromised, anyway.

You convinced me! Thank you for the solution :-) .

If I don't hear about better way, I'll stay with this one.

Best wishes
--
 Tomasz Papszun   SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland  | And it's only
 tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl   http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/   | ones and zeros.