Re: debconf dependency problem.

Masato Taruishi wrote:
> Hi, I try to use a new data type 'multiselect' of debconf template.
> But, I have a problem because the type is a new feature since 0.2.26.
> At least, it would be needed to add a dependency of debconf
> (>=0.2.26), but it can't still solve the problem so that as follows:

Right. My plan is to add a simple dependancy check to dpkg-preconfig so it
won't preconfigure packages that depend on a newer version of debconf. This
will eliminate this problem once everyone upgrades to the (mythical) version
of debconf that has that functionality.

I should have done it already, obviously..

> 1. To change the db_version between the larger and less than 0.2.26
>    and check the version in the config script( or a form to know
>    what data type the debconf have).
>
> but this means that we can't use the new feature in the config script
> at first and must wait for the configuration for a long time until
> the db_get in <package>.postinst is invoked.

This is the road I'm going to take to fix your particular problem. In the
future (when I finally implement the dependancy checking above) this won't
be necessary when debconf adds a new data type. But for this particular
situation, I've added a way for you to test to see if debconf supports the
data type.

Use the db_capb command. If one of the words it returns to you is
"multiselect", then this is a version of debconf that supports that data
type. If not, it's an old debconf. In that case, you should just exit; your
config script will be run again when the postinst runs, and the dependancy
will be satisified then.

This is in debconf 0.2.31. Make your package depend on that version of
debconf.

--
see shy jo