Re: errors during recent dist-upgrades

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 10:54:55AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> It could be implemented better, but really it isn't the greatest idea to
> start condoing this insanity. If the packages interdepend then why are
> they seperate packages?!

I see your point in the situation where the loop is mandatory (ie. there
is no alternatives involved in the loop), like in this case.  IMHO loops
may be okay when there is an alternative way to satisfy the dependencies.

For example:

  A -------> B
    <------

is bad but

  A -------> B--------> D
  ^          |
   \         |
    \	     |
     \	     |
      \      |
       \     |
        \    |
	 \   |
	  \  |
	   \ |

(where B depends on C | D)

should be OK.

> > The bug report is bogus.  Cyclic dependencies are okay.
> > If you disagree, please quote the scriptures.
>
> Why don't you find something that says they are OK then we can talk :>

I suggest you make a policy amendment about this so we can discuss it
more thoroughly and eventually get it documented.  Currently I don't
think the issue is addressed by any of the documentation.

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)