Re: errors during recent dist-upgrades

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 10:26:28AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > It doesn't guarentee that dpkg gets all members of the depends loop at
> > once.
>
> Is there a technical reason for that or is it just not yet implemented?

It could be implemented better, but really it isn't the greatest idea to
start condoing this insanity. If the packages interdepend then why are
they seperate packages?!

> > But APT batches a large number of configure requests all at once, so what
> > has happened is that a split between the runs of dpkg occures between the
> > two wordnet packages.
>
> What makes it impossible or undesirable to do a separate dpkg --configure
> run for each cycle?

dpkg has a really nasty startup time, it is better to send all the
packages to it in as large a run as possible.

> The bug report is bogus.  Cyclic dependencies are okay.
> If you disagree, please quote the scriptures.

Why don't you find something that says they are OK then we can talk :>

Jason