Re: ITP: Debian History

On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 04:06:36PM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:
> But look:
>
>      `optional'
>           (In a sense everything is optional that isn't required, but
>           that's not what is meant here.) This is all the software that you
>           might reasonably want to install if you didn't know what it was
>           or don't have specialized requirements. This is a much larger
>           system and includes the X Window System, a full TeX distribution,
>           and many applications.
>
> This does not mean a package that you will blindly install, find three
> months later and think "Ooh, neat," which is about as important as
> a history document.

The phrasing of optional and extra leads me to believe that those packages
are optional. Extra is reserved for things with specialized requirements:
i.e. you aren't going to go "Ooh, neat", you're going to go "what the?"
if you find them after you blindly installed them onto the system.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org