Re: FREEZE RESCHEDULED

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 07:58:48AM -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Richard Braakman wrote:
>
> > I was too hasty when declaring this freeze.  Adam di Carlo assured me that
> > the boot-floppies are just not ready yet, and won't be for a number of
> > weeks even if they get help.
>
> Question:  Is there any reason why we can't take the current boot disks
> and stick a new kernel, libc etc. on them.  They won't be as good as the
> new ones I'm sure but they're quite serviceable IMO.

Sure there is, they don't properly support the non-x86 architectures. I'm
specifically concerned about powerpc.  If you released potato without the
new boot-floppies that I've been working on full-time for my company then
you would lose a full-time developer.  I'm sure other powerpc/m68k etc.
developers would feel quite alienated as well.

Joey Hess has the right solution (and had it months ago).  His plan should
appease the bleeding edge x86 folks (remember his changes to boot-floppies
are for x86 platforms, m68k/sparc/alpha may not benefit).

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com