Re: FREEZE RESCHEDULED

Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org> writes:

> Freeze has some predepends - Working boot-floppies which do not exist
> and a base stability. Then - Freeze - Force people to work on frozen
> and release within 4-6 Weeks.

The base stability happens after the freeze, not before, except for a
few minutes her and there.  As long as unstable packages can be
uploaded, they will be uploaded, along with their critical bugs.
unstable is quite unlikely to have a base stability.  After the
freeze, the number of critical bugs will really start to decrease.
The number of new critical bugs introduced will decrease, and,
eventually, we will be ready for a release.

It is not a bad thing to have packages which are a few months old.
For the few packages where it matters, a user can download a new
version from unstable.  It is bad to have the entire distribution be a
year old.  I have tried converting a few people to Debian. One concern
they have is that the kernel is 2.0.x in stable.  While I don't think
that this is a critical issue, it gives an impression of being behind
the Linux curve.

Let's freeze soon, continue working on boot-floppies, continue fixing
critical bugs in frozen, and continue to upload the new bugs to
unstable, where they belong.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevind@rahul.net