web mirroring

I'm looking for a good web mirroring tool, and I wondered which is used
in the Debian web site mirrors.
I've tried mirroring a site using wget before, but it gave me all kinds
of weird '?D=D', '?D=A', '?S=A', ... files. I then looked into the
mirror package, but the documentation said it was for ftp mirrors. So I
installed w3mir, tried that, and these same files showed up. I could
probably prune them using a Fetch: or Fetch-RE: line in the config file,
but still I'm curious where they come from in the first place.

Filip Van Raemdonck