What is wrong with Joey's proposal? We need a Y2K release NOW.

(I'm behind on debian-devel, so apologies if this has already been
 beaten to death.)

I didn't realize that this was an issue, but if Joey is right, then
why aren't we paying more attention?  If we're not going to get the
current unstable out the door in the next couple of weeks (in time for
people to notice and upgrade), and I suspect we're not, then what are
we going to say to our users?

Unless there's something I'm overlooking, I think we should give Joey
support in getting a Y2K update for stable out *soon*, especially
since he's not just tring to dictate, he's willing to do the work.
This is IMO substantially more important than getting unstable out a
week or two sooner, presuming that that still means sometime after the
beginning of December.