Re: RFC: inetd httpd-facility for dwww/dhelp

Jim Pick writes:
 > Personally, I'd like to see a new web server policy.  For example, I'd
 > like to see all webservers we supply configured for localhost access
 > only - leave it to the end user to add on virtual hosts or change the
 > security settings.  Perhaps we could have an automated tool (debconf?)
 > for setting up external webservers.

I agree with the idea that packages, upon inital installation, are
configured for the maximum possible security settings.  If one is
going to run a web server, one is going to have to dig through the
config files anyways.  Why not make life a bit harder for the script
kiddies?

Or perhaps this could be a debconf global setting: "paranoia level".
If you set it to high, the default /etc/init.d/network would contain
a rule to drop all incoming TCP SYN except on a few special
ports, and all installed packages would only provide service to
localhost, etc...

Something to think about.  Debconf is cool.

--
Colin Walters <levanti@verbum.org>
http://web.verbum.org/levanti