Re: OpenSSH uploaded replacing ssh, please test

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 07:45:13PM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:
> > There's no problem unless you were expecting the fall back to rlogin
> > to work, when calling slogin.  The non-free version of ssh makes a
> > distinction here, and falls back to the correct one.
>
> Once again: the command line options are different.

For rsh/rlogin yes, for ssh/slogin no.

rlogin wont let you run commands, whereas slogin does this:

doorway:~$ ssh -v 2>&1 | head -1
SSH Version 1.2.26 [i586-unknown-linux], protocol version 1.5.
doorway:~$ ssh localhost date
Fri Nov  5 08:38:52 GMT 1999
doorway:~$ slogin localhost date
Fri Nov  5 08:38:54 GMT 1999

rlogin has the -e <escape_char> option, rsh does not.  slogin and ssh
support the -e <escape_char> (because they are the same binary, and
they don't use argv[0] for differentiation, except when falling back to
rlogin/rsh.

rlogin has a -L option, rsh does not, ssh/slogin both have a -L option
that does something totally different.

I'll say it again: The only difference between ssh-nonfree and openssh
(w.r.t. ssh/slogin differentiation) is a bug that I cannot imagine
anyone caring about (i.e. slogin from openssh mistakenly falls back to
rsh instead of rlogin).

Cheers, Phil.