Re: OpenSSH uploaded replacing ssh, please test

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 05:04:08PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 07:47:57AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 06:25:25AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> > > Whoa, this is a horrible idea unless you can guarantee that the ssh
> > > people are going to be automatically upgraded to completely duplicates
> > > the functionality of the one they alread have. (AFAIK, it doesn't.) If
> > > it's openssh, why isn't your package called openssh?
> > It completely duplicates everything I've tried it with. I say go for it.
> Of course, I had forgotten the "Works for Ben" testing procedure. :)

While that may not be valid, the "works for a lot of people" testing
procedure is.  Note the "please test" in the subject line.  I think Philip
Hands did the right thing here.

> > Get rid of the non-free crap we have now with the Real Deal.
> You seem to be forgetting the clause of the social contract that deals
> with the best interests of our users. Don't let free software zealotry

That's why we're keeping ssh-nonfree.

> cloud that very important point. We're already seen a post from someone
> whose setup was disrupted by this change, and I'm sure we'll see others.
> Silently reverting ssh to an older version is *not* in the best

That's just incorrect.  OpenSSH was _originally_ ssh 1.2.12 by Yatu Ylonen.
The OpenBSD developers modified it to make it work with the new protocol.
Damien miller modified it to make it work on Linux.  This is clearly _not_
ssh1.2.12, this is OpenSSH 1.2pre(whatevernowi'vebeenawayforaweek).

-Dan

--
"Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams
himself your master."