Re: Thwarting Policy via BTS

Exactly.  The maintainer system is here for a reason: the maintainer
is supposed to be the expert and final authority on his packages, and
for this reason he serves as a useful check for bug reports and
feature requests that come in, to insure they are correct and that the
fix is not harmful.  Bypassing this check eliminates the input from
the person the Project recognizes as the expert on the package and the
first line of defense for quality control, and opens up all sorts of
possibilities for problems.