Re: mkdir bug?

On Tue 02 Nov 1999, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 11:29:15AM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > On Mon 01 Nov 1999, Ashley Clark wrote:
> > > Now, shouldn't test1 and test2 have the same permissions (rwxrwsr-x)?
> >
> > You mean that test2 should also have the setgid bit set; test1 isn't
> > looked at in the mkdir operation.
>
> This is probably due to one of two patches submitted by peter samuelson.
> I already backed one of them out in -5 because it broke stuff, and it
> looks like I'll back the other one out in -6. The changelog entries for
> these patches say:
>   * Prevent install from inheriting strange permissions (#36770)
>   * Allow "mv foo symlink-to-foo" (#31717)
>   * (Above patches by Peter Samuelson)
> But those bugs have long since fallen out of the BTS. Anyone have an
> idea of how I can figure out what the original problem was, so I can
> come up with a new patch?

I don't think that the second thing fixed (#31717) should have anything
to do with this; that was a REAL bug that broke all sorts of existing
things; I was glad it was fixed.

Here's my original bug report:

: Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:55:43 +0100
: From: Paul Slootman <paul@debian.org>
: To: submit@bugs.debian.org
: Subject: fileutils: 'mv regularfile symlink' problems
:
: Package: fileutils
: Version: 4.0-1
:
: Consider the following chain of events:
:
:     $ rm -f bla Bla
:     $ date >Bla
:     $ ln -s Bla bla
:     $ ls -l ?la
:     -rw-rw-r--   1 paul     users          29 Jan 11 13:51 Bla
:     lrwxrwxrwx   1 paul     users           3 Jan 11 13:51 bla -> Bla
:     $ mv Bla bla
:     $ ls -l ?la
:     -rw-rw-r--   1 paul     users          29 Jan 11 13:51 bla
:
: This is how all other/previous version of mv work (fileutils 3.16,
: Solaris 2, NetBSD).
:
: However, the mv in fileutils 4.0 behaves differently:
:
:     $ mv Bla bla
:     mv: `Bla' and `bla' are the same file
:
: This is clearly bogus, as they are NOT the same file; one is a regular
: file, and the other is a symlink that just happens to reference the
: regular file.
:
: I can find NO reference in the docs to justify this incompatible change
: in behaviour.

I don't know about the other bug though.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/