Re: Status of Potato

> Then we can start with Test Cycles.  These will address the problems
> we had with the previous two freezes.  A Test Cycle looks like this:
>
>    1.  Boot disks and CD images are created.
>    2.  The distribution is tested for a fixed amount of time.  No changes
>        of any kind will be made to frozen during this time.  Fixes for
>        problems that are discovered will of course be prepared, but they
>        will not be installed yet.
>    3.  The results are evaluated.  If the distribution is good enough to
>        release, it is released as it is.
>    4.  Otherwise, fixes are installed, and if necessary, extra time is
>        taken to fix the problems.
>    5.  New boot disks and CD images are created, and the cycle begins again.

What I do not like at the release process, is the fact, that each time, we
release a software, its packages are several months old and users who report
bugs to the upstream author get responses like "upgrade first to the latest
version, before I look into your bug report".

Therefore I want to suggest a two step freeze:

1. feature freeze, but it is still possible to update packages like wine and
mozilla to the latest version. But things like package dependencies should not
be changed any more (It should be defined more clearly, what is allowed and
what not).

2. real freeze like we had it before.

Thanks.

--Rainer.