Re: ash/echo/POSIX/SUS

Hi,
>>"Herbert" == Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:

 Herbert> * I released a version of ash with echo that was SUS
 Herbert>   compliant (this is also POSIX compliant).  This was
 Herbert>   foolish because we're less than 2 weeks away from the
 Herbert>   freeze and that we've got a huge number of scripts that
 Herbert>   aren't POSIX compliant in this respect.

        Is it your contention that an echo that accepts -n is
 violating POSIX? Can you quote, chapter and verse, please?

 Herbert> * For the release after potato, we need to make a decision
 Herbert>   on whether to change the policy to not requrie POSIX
 Herbert>   compliance on #!/bin/sh scripts or actually enforcing it.

        I think some (not so) common sense should also be applied. If
 the long standing behaviour is allowed as implementatgion defined by
 POSIX, I think we should continue the behaviour since
 a) it does not violate POSIX
 b) It shall not break a gazillion scripts.

        Where does policy say that optional and implementation defined
 nuances of POSIX programs are to be deprecaed?

 Herbert> So let us stop wasting time and concentrate on the release.

        If the old behaviour is continued, even less time shall be
 wasted.

        manoj
--
 Try to value useful qualities in one who loves you.