Re: ash/echo/POSIX/SUS

On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 10:18:23AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>  Herbert> * I released a version of ash with echo that was SUS
>  Herbert>   compliant (this is also POSIX compliant).  This was
>  Herbert>   foolish because we're less than 2 weeks away from the
>  Herbert>   freeze and that we've got a huge number of scripts that
>  Herbert>   aren't POSIX compliant in this respect.
>
>         Is it your contention that an echo that accepts -n is
>  violating POSIX? Can you quote, chapter and verse, please?

When did I say that? I was talking about POSIX compliant scripts.

Since the behaviour of echo when -n is the operand is implementation defined,
POSIX compliant scripts must not use it.

>  Herbert> * For the release after potato, we need to make a decision
>  Herbert>   on whether to change the policy to not requrie POSIX
>  Herbert>   compliance on #!/bin/sh scripts or actually enforcing it.
>
>         I think some (not so) common sense should also be applied. If
>  the long standing behaviour is allowed as implementatgion defined by
>  POSIX, I think we should continue the behaviour since
>  a) it does not violate POSIX
>  b) It shall not break a gazillion scripts.

We are talking about scripts and our policy.  Currently those scripts violate
the policy.  So one of them must be changed.

>         Where does policy say that optional and implementation defined
>  nuances of POSIX programs are to be deprecaed?

Here's what our policy currently says:

     any POSIX compatible shell. Thus, shell scripts specifying ``/bin/sh''
     as interpreter may only use POSIX features. If a script requires

>  Herbert> So let us stop wasting time and concentrate on the release.
>
>         If the old behaviour is continued, even less time shall be
>  wasted.

I don't think so.  Having an inconsistency of this magnitude between the
policy and reality is a really big worry to me.