Re: dpkg & i18n

Piotr Roszatycki <dexter@fnet.pl> writes:

> On 23 Oct 1999, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> >
> > Translated fields in one file for all the languages, like the recent
> > rpm .spec change?
> >
> > I think the rpm change was a serious design mistake (also KDE .kdelnk
> > and GNOME .desktop were).  Multiple character encodings in one file is
> > not a good idea.  Maintaining such files is difficult.  In Emacs,
> > opening such files as a Korean mode might break other 8-bit encodings.
> >
> > If we don't use additional files, we should use a universal character
> > set (like UTF-8 or ISO 2022) for debian/control.  But neither of UTF-8
> > text nor ISO 2022 one is easy to edit with the available editors.
>
> RPM is a bad example.
> It is possible i.e. to prepare another DEBIAN/control.pl_PL,
> DEBIAN/control.it_IT, etc.
>
> This way resolve problems with multiple character encodings.

How about this?

1. A universal charset for DEBIAN/control

2. Translators edit debian/control.$LANG with their own charsets.

2. A packaging tool (no idea which one) automatically merges
debian/control and debian/control.$LANG files into one DEBIAN/control,
with necessary charset conversions.

--
Changwoo Ryu