Re: Name clash lsh

Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org> wrote:
> I'm still intersted in packaging lsh, the free secure shell for Debian,
> but I need still a solution for the name clash. So if we don't find one
> soon, I will remove my ITP and somebody else can take it over. I asked
> on irc and on this list and nobody stepped up and suggested a good
> solution. And I send a mail to the maintainer of lsh, the baby shell,
> about this issue, but got no reply until today. As I'm fed up with this,
> I'm considering stopping my ITP and working more on QA.

Well the problem has already been considered, the answer you want is in
Policy:

# 4. Files
# --------
#
#
# 4.1. Binaries
# -------------
#
#      It is not allowed that two packages install programs with different
#      functionality but with the same filenames. (The case of two programs
#      having the same functionality but different implementations is handled
#      via `alternatives.') If this case happens, one of the programs has to
#      be renamed. The maintainers should report this to the developers'
#      mailing and try to find a consensus about which package will have to
#      be renamed. If a consensus can not be reached, _both_ programs must be
#      renamed.

Unfortunately, the policy document does not say what to do when one of the
maintainers does not respond to messages. You could take this as the last
option, a consensus can not be reached, so both programs must change their
names. Is anybody actually using the current lsh? If they are and lsh suddenly
changes to a completely different program, with their login shell disappearing,
they are not going to be very happy. Let us see if anybody is using it, here
are the results from the popularity-contest:

#                         Results for Section 'shells'
#
#    Popularity Contest Results as of Fri Oct 22 13:07:05 CDT 1999
#
#    Explanation:
#
#      * Vote: Number of people that use this package regularly.
#      * Old: Number of people who installed but have not used the package
#        recently.
#      * Recent: Upgraded the package too recently for stats to be valid.
#      * Unknown: No files in the package were used in the statistics
#        calculation.
#
# Package               Vote   Old Recent Unknown
#
# tcsh                   310   144   124     0
# pdksh                   76   175   153     0
# zsh                     74    46    68     0
# sash                    47    89    97     0
# pdmenu                  40   113   134     0
# csh                     37    64     6     0
# ash                     32    56    81     0
# osh                     25     0     0     0
# rc                       5    33     2     0
# lsh                      5    16     5     0
# tcsh-kanji               4     4     0     0
# esh                      4     5     3     0
# kiss                     3    24     1     0
# flin                     3    15     2     0
# es                       3    18    14     0
# tcsh-i18n                0     0     0   441

Five votes, which means that 5 people are using lsh regularly and running
the popularity contest software.

How about calling the new lsh lshell or did I here the name psst somewhere?

--
I consume, therefore I am