Re: Intent package mule2 and custom-mule (Important for emacs (lisp) package maintainers)

From: Takao KAWAMURA <kawamura@debian.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 02:37:05 +0900

> >  Could you give me your opinion?
>
> I am afraid that forked packages may prevent people from
> making effort to merge patches to upstream sources.  So, a
> forking should be done if and only if it is really needed.
> I don't know whether mule2 is really needed or not.

I understand.

> BTW, I am surprised to hear mule2 is still wide-spread in
> Japan.  It is a long time since I met a person used mule2.

At least I know 40 people still using mule2.  They're my co-workers
and the platform is Soralis 2.5.1.  Except two(including me), the rest
are using good old mule2, multi-lingual version of Emacs 19.34.  It
might be some obstacle to promote Debian to them.  In Japan, the
method to use Japanese characters are rather limited and Mule2
sometimes gives easier solution for them.  And the way to treat
Japanese characters are rather different between Emacs20 and Mule2.
In Mule2, the setting way for Japanese is quite easy, on the other
hand, Emacs20 provides slightly difficult way in particularly for
newbies.  So still now, I think a lot of people are using Mule2 in Japan.

> # I think it is inconsiderate to use an old dictionary after
> # publishing a revised edition of it.  Of course I know
> # software is different from dictionaries.  Old software is
> # sometime preferred because of stability and simpleness.

Yes, but sometimes it works.  Software is usually made for users and
if he or she gets satisfied to use it, it would be OK.  He or she can
not be blamed by the reason that they use old software.  Sometimes I
invoke Nemacs(Japanized Emacs18.59.1) to edit some simple file.  It
works and it brings me some satisfied feeling (Usually I use Emacs20.4
and SKK[1] though:).

Anyway, I think I can understand your opinion.  The way you said is
reasonable and it would work for the goal of future Debian.  But I think
the way to achieve goal is not only one.

[1]SKK ... One of the Japanese input method.  It would be useful if
you are learner of Japanese.  Because it requires only Emacs to work ,
and it has the simple system to convert Alphabet to Japanese.  You
have to specify the Hirakana and Katakana, Kanji as you want it.  On
the other hand, the other input methods are intelligent enough to
convert alphabet to Japanese even if it is one sentence or longer.
You must be confused a lot of candidates of Kanji character would be
appeared in front of you:) Debian has latest SKK package maintained by
Kawamura-san.

Best Regards,
	K.S.Yoshio