Re: Size of Debian a Problem? Forget it!

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Juergen A. Erhard wrote:

 :
 : There's this current thread on the size of Debian's ftp archive
 : (started with someone noting the size of `gmt-coast-full', ~47M)
 :
 : I think this is a moot discussion... just look at disk prize these
 : days.  Here in Germany, a 20M IDE costs about DM 400 (~ US$ 230).

Let me know when you want to start buying me 18G SCSI drives ... see any
of those for $230?

 : Any mirror that can't afford that shouldn't be a mirror in the first
 : place (IMHO).

Bandwidth is more expensive than hardware.  But I suppose that doesn't
matter to you ...

Besides, mirrors are DONATING their hardware AND bandwidth.  It's not
like I'm obligated to you to provide a service.

 : *And* if some mirror is important (it can't be replaced because no-one
 : else wants to/can supply the bandwidth), there's that money Debian has
 : in the bank (I heard rumors of about US$ 10000... that correct?  Well,
 : even if it isn't, one can only guess at what the Debian box by
 : SGI/VA/ORA will bring in ;-)
 :
 : So, I think we can pretty safely ignore this discussion...

Dude, wake up.  Mirrors should have the right to mirror "important"
parts of Debian and skip the fluff.  Have you any idea what it costs to
transfer a few gigs a day at high speeds?

I've got a 18G drive devoted to Debian right now and it's getting full!
I should have to invest in more hardware JUST BECAUSE people want to
package data that's readily available elsewhere?  Please don't suggest I
go buy UDMA drives - I buy real hardware.

I do plan on upgrading the hardware, but it may not happen for 90-180
days.  If the archive gets too large, debian-archive will be the first
to go, followed by Incoming, followed by different arches, I guess.

Puzzled by this attitude,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD