Re: Stop archive bloat: 47MB gmt-coast-full_19991001-1.deb

Well, I don't know the exact number for IRIX, but it's around 8-10 CDs I think,
not all of them full.  So Network tools on one, graphics and multi-media on
another, and so on.  We tend to have packed CDs where the others do not, and the
others don't mind since they charge large ammounts for their OS.  Solaris on the
other hand has only one CD, but it lacks almost all the tools you would hope
for, such as compilers, and libraries.  Forget GNU utilities on the stuff you
get on CD from Sun.  So, people don't MIND having all those CDs as a part of the
distribution, they just mind the ammount it would take up on a hard drive.  If
we decide to split up the dist by function onto different CDs, this would follow
the model most use, but requires that we have a 5 CD set for any install that is
reasonably complete.  Or we split more stuff off to new areas like
contrib-network, contrib-multimedia, etc.

							Dave Bristel