Re: Stop archive bloat: 47MB gmt-coast-full_19991001-1.deb

*Philippe Troin wrote:

> Just found this huge file...
>
> Do we really need a 47MB file that will be useful to maybe 10 people
> using Debian (at most) ? We already fill 5+ CDs...

   Yes this is a problem. I just skimmed all of the proposed solutions (some of
them follow). I have seen each of these proposals many times in the past
2.5 years. Some of the solutions have more merit than others.
The only problem is, no one has implemented them.

   1 data section
   2 improved, or logical (flexible) package categories
     (This is related to sub-distributions of Debian.
   3 bzip
   4 improving multiple document format situation
     ( building docs at install, or somesuch.)

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org