Re: question

Patrick Spingys wrote:

> Hi debian-Team,

Hi.

> become your Linux-Distribution an graphical installation
> like the commercial distributions, too ?

We will have one, yes.  Possibly not for our next release, but certainly
for the release after that.

> And why exists LaetOS (http://www.laetos.org/) as seperate
> and is not a part of the debian-project ?

Because they want to be?  I don't remember hearing about them before,
but I have had a break from reading the debian mailing lists, so I may
have missed something.

In any case, they appear to have slightly different goals to us.  It is
not a specific goal of debian to be an easy-to-use
'operating-system-for-the-rest-of-us'.  Which is to say, that's a
laudable goal, and I'm sure that much of LaetOS will make it's way into
debian - but we have other goals too.

> I think LaetOS is based on debian, but why work debian not
> on a graphical installation ???

Simply because no one's written one yet.  There are people working on
such, and also Corel have produced one which is GPLed which we could
use.

To be honest, I really don't see it as a high priority.  Our current
installation has a GUI - it just happens to be a text-only GUI - and I
personally don't see 'hi-resolution graphics' for an installer which you
only run once as a mahor benefit.

These are, of course, my opinions, not Debian's...

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |